Back to T&S
The flight of four locks at Siddington mark the eastern end of the summit
level of the Thames & Severn Canal. Whilst the main operational base
was at Brimscombe Port, the canal company engineer was based at the house
at the top of the flight of locks at Siddington and where the arm to Cirencester
left the main line.
The top lock is rather overgrown and currently forms part of the garden
of an adjoining property and has a water pipe laid across its tail. Below
it, Upper Siddington Bridge is an original and attractive feature of the
Locks 2 and 3 are amongst the most accessible on the T&S and have
recently been cleared of overgrowth by the Cotswold Canals Trust. The main
chambers of both appear to be in good condition and it is possible to walk
up inside them (which are usually dry in summer) to inspect the arches which
were used to shorten the locks from 90 feet to 70 feet to save water in
1842 after the demise of the Thames based Western Barges.
The bottom lock is under a house built in the 1970s - the only one obstructing
the whole 37 miles of the Cotswold Canals - and nothing can be seem of it
or the bridge which carried the road across the canal below it.
To the east of the flight, the canal is initially back in water as it
heads towards South Cerney.